Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Rhubarb Kiwi Marmalade & Pineapple Mango Marmalade



It's spring time in the Rocky Mountains and it's time to make some marmalade. 


I almost always start my canning season making Pepper Jelly for the holidays but the rhubarb was so beautiful this spring I was forced to veer off course and make some mouth watering, sweet-tart Rhubarb Kiwi Marmalade.  While I was at it, I decided to make some Pineapple Mango Marmalade.  Both turned out a smashing success.






Rhubarb Kiwi Marmalade
6 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
3 lemons
6 kiwi
7 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1 package liquid pectin


Wash rhubarb and chop into small pieces, slice lemons thinly on a mandolin leaving peel on, remove skin from kiwi and slice thinly on mandolin, add fruit to large heavy stock pot and set temperature to medium high, add sugar and and 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium keeping the liquid at a medium boil.  Cook until fruit is clear, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, add liquid pectin and skim any foam.  Process in sterilized jars for 15 minutes hot water bath. 


Hot Water Bath: in a large stock pot add enough water to submerge filled sealed jars, boil filled jars on medium high heat for 10-15 minutes, remove to a dry towel.  Jars will make a destinctive "ping" sound when they've sealed correctly. 




I got a little carried away adding water to my recipe resulting in a soupy marmalade.  I added another packet of liquid pectin and a few more lemons to thicken my recipe and luckily, the marmalade set up perfectly.


Dried fruit can also be added as a thickening agent instead of using liquid pectin. To make a conserve just add a cup of chopped nuts to the mix.








Pineapple Mango Marmalade
4 cups chopped fresh pineapple
4 cups chopped fresh mango
4 cups sugar
zest from one lemon
juice from one lemon
1/2 cup water if necessary


Peel and chop pineapple and mango, Using a large heavy bottom sauce pan heat fruit on medium high heat, add sugar, lemon zest and juice. Cook for 10 minutes, add water if mixture is to thick to stir. Bring to a rapid boil, cook 2 minutes, reduce heat to medium and cook till fruit is clear about 40 minutes.  Process in a 15 minute water bath in sterilized jars.




Spread on a English muffin or piece of fresh French bread and prepare to be dazzled by the flavor. 
Print Friendly and PDF

17 comments:

  1. Your marmalades look wonderful! The only jam I've ever made is strawberry jam. Homemade is so much better than store bought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are both gorgeous! Rhubarb should be showing up in the market soon- I know what I'll make with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made any jams before but it's on my list of "things to do" -- I will save these reciptes! Thanks for sharing :)

    I saw your link on The Middle Matters blog hop - thought I'd come over to say hello. I'm a new follower:)

    Katrina
    www.theyallcallmemom.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m a new follower from the blog hop!

    Gorgeous pictures. By the way, you have a wonderful name!

    Please stop by and check out my blog, Becca's Perspective
    when you get a chance.

    Thanks,
    Becca
    Becca's Perspective

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy.. the marmalade looks so good and its color is simply divine! So glad I found your blog and I am now following you thanks to The Middle Matters blog hop and it would be so nice if you could share the love back on my blog:)
    And don't forget to check our new Blog Tutorial going on today. It's really easy and it would look amazing on your blog, so make sure you don't miss it. See you there!
    Happy Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks beautiful and delicious. Thank you for following me. I'm following you too now. You have a lovely blog. Congratulations on the new grand-baby and all the best wishes to all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for following Just Wedeminute and the Middle Matters Blog hop. I'm following you back. These both look so mouth watering, I want to go make some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. o.o they look so pretty AND tasty!
    Newest follower from the Middle Matters Blog Hop!
    Come return the visit and enter one of our awesome giveaways when you have the chance :)
    --
    Jade
    The Sleppery Mind

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! Your marmalades look awesome!
    Nice blog you have here! Following you from The Middle Matters blog hop! Hope you could follow back Pinay in Texas Cooking Corner.
    Thanks! Enjoy the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rebecka, both your marmalades looks beautiful and super delicious! I can never find rhubarb over here, I'm still looking for it. Thank you again for sharing yet another delicious canning recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Biren, Homemade is always better, it just takes a little more time but it's filled with love!

    scrambled, I hope you get the chance to purchase some rhubarb that was as nice as the rhubarb I found in the local market. Let me know if you do and if you post a recipe!! I can always use a new rhubarb recipe!

    Katrina, So happy to meet you! I'll stop by your blog and share the love...

    Becca, yes our names are just beautiful! lol!! I'll be following Becca's Perspectives too!! I can't wait to see what your perspectives and blog area all about..

    Design it, I'm always looking for great new ways to spice up my blog...on my way over to follow you and check out your tutorial

    Joy, thanks for following me back! Your blog is also very beautiful and I'm looking forward to learning more dessert recipes

    Jennifer, thank you so much for hosting the blog hop!! It's bloggers like yourself that open up a new dimension in kindness and giving when you share your talents and followers. xoxo

    Jade, I'm all about great giveaways...I'll be following you and checking out your latest and greatest.

    Tina, I have some Texas roots in my kitchen as well. I'll be your newest follower and visit your blog often

    kf, as always, I adore you!! Do you think rhubarb would travel well to Malaysia??? hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Measuring Flowers and Mommy, Thanks you so much for visiting and following my blog! This blog hop has been the best!I look forward to spending time on your blogs and getting to know you both better!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks wonderful! What we need is some clotted cream to go with it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Coleen!! SMOOCHES! Thanks for following♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband and I made the kiwi rhubarb marmalade today and I think it's one of my favorite jams of all time! I just wish mine was as pretty as yours... around here our rhubarb is green with just a tiny bit of red, no matter how long you let it grow, so the final jam is sort of a brownish yellow :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Anna, I'm thrilled you made the Rhubarb Jam with your husband and it turned out so well! Sorry about the brown yellow color! I know it can be difficult to find really beautiful rhubarb. I often times will add a bit of red food coloring if the rhubarb is green. Thanks for trying out my recipe, you've made my day!!

    ReplyDelete

♥I really appreciate your comments♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com