Friday, May 6, 2011

Chocolate Chip Pancakes with Feta Cheese and Brown Butter

First, please forgive the date at the bottom of the photo.  It took me a few weeks to figure out how to change the settings on my new camera.


I made these decadent pancakes a few months ago on one of my more "down days".  The kind of day when the only thing that would lift me up is a belly full of satisfaction!  Chocolate Chip Pancakes are the answer to any blue day!   Filled with oozing chocolate bits, swimming in savory browned butter and topped with creamy feta cheese....slurp!   We all have our sinful pleasures when it comes to food and this recipe tops my list. 



The recipe for the pancake batter comes from my favorite breakfast place in Colorado Springs, CO.  Wades Pancake House.  Wades began as a very small establishment and rapidly grew,  boasting two additional restaurants in the Colorado Springs area. Unfortunately, after financial difficulties Wades closed it's doors.  That was a sad day indeed! 

Several years later, as I was driving to my parents home I saw a familiar sign in a tiny strip mall....  Wades was back in business!  Oh happy day!  My mind was flooded with memories of Wades Green Chili Omelet, Strawberry Rolls Ups and you guessed it...Chocolate Chip Pancakes.  

It wasn't long before I got the family together for a breakfast outing.  We ate all our favorite breakfast items, everyone taking turns tasting the others plate full of Wades best dishes. 

The owner of Wades was never willing to part with his recipe, so after years of experimentation this is as close as it gets to the real thing.

Recipe
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup 2% or whole milk
1 32 ounce bag semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 stick salted butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar for dusting

Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, blend eggs and milk together in a separate bowl, combine and mix until blended.  

Heat a large griddle on medium high heat and add 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, pour 1/4-1/2 cup of batter onto greased griddle (depending on the size of your pan, you may be able to cook 3 or 4 pancakes at one time) and top with a hand full of chocolate chips; when edges of pancake turn light brown flip and cook the other side, about 2-3 minutes. 

Brown Butter
In a medium sauce pan, melt butter on medium heat until light brown

Serve pancakes with browned butter, crumbled feta cheese and dust with powdered sugar. 

I like a steaming cup of coffee with my pancakes but a tall glass of cold milk is a terrific alternative beverage.

I still get together with my parents and brothers for the occasional, Wades Pancake House breakfast. Happy tummy, happy mommy!!



This post is linked to SWEET AS SUGAR SweetasSugarCookies
Print Friendly and PDF

12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, those pancakes look incredible. They must be the absolute best thing you could ever put in your mouth. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your pancakes up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/05/sweets-for-saturday-16.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa for stopping by to visit my blog and for the invite to your sweat treat linky party...would be happy to link up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These pancakes would disappear in a jiffy if served before my kids! Looks delicious, they would really love this! Thanks for sharing!
    Happy Mother's Day, Rebecka!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a beautiful Mother's Day Joy!! Thanks again for visiting me and leaving your sweet comments! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so yummy!

    I am a new GFC follower from the Monday Blog Hop. Hoping you will stop by and return the favor!

    www.ourmonkeylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melissa, Thanks for following via GFC! I'll be by ourmonkeylife to follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a crazy combo...I totally want to try it! They look amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Heather, you're absolutely right, it's a crazy combo but oh my...they are beyond delicious. After three days of snow...and it's still snowing, I think this is what's for dinner tonight!! Warm and gooey and sinfully delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rebecka,
    Thank you for joining our Bake-Along! And thank you for your lovely words! I really appreciate it! You must be busy getting ready for the coming Christmas! Have fun and enjoy your holidays! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi rebecka, nice to know you thry the bake along. I must say these pancakes are incredibly, sinfully delicious, i will drown these pancakes in the brown butter, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry that I've missed out this bake-along post.

    These pancakes are delicious with all my favourite ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Joy, I'm happy to be a part of your Bake Along

    Hi lena, thanks for visiting! You're absolutely right, these pancakes are sinfully delicious!

    Hi Zoe, it's so nice to see you!! I hope your holidays were wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete

♥I really appreciate your comments♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com