Saturday, December 3, 2011

Lima Bean and Bacon Stew






Tender and buttery, Lima Bean Stew is a hearty family favorite.  Just a quarter cup of dry beans yields 7 grams of fiber and protein!   This is a delicious and satisfying stew; good for you and super easy to make.


Recipe:

1 16 ounce bag dry Baby Lima Beans
1/2 pound bacon
1 large onion
1 bay leaf
4-6 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Rinse beans and pick out any that are discolored or misshapen.  Cover beans with water, soak overnight. Rinse beans with cold water and add to the pot of a slow cooker, set to high heat, cover beans with water, about 4-6 cups.    Cook bacon until crisp, crumble bacon over beans, chop onion and cook in bacon grease until translucent, add onions and bay leaf to pot and stir to combine, cook 6-8 hours.  Add additional water if stew becomes to thick.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve hot with buttered bread.


Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. I love clear soup once in a while for a change tho' my son prefers creamy ones :) I like the combi of the 2 ingredients. A mouth-watering dish!

    Rebecka, would love to have you join me @ Promote Your Blog @ Shirley's Luxury Haven! DIY This X’mas With 12 Lovely Recipes! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so timely because my kids were just talking about lima beans this weekend. They were saying there's no way I could make tasty lima beans. I think the addition of bacon in this stew will prove them wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shirley, I bet your son would really enjoy this stew even though it doesn't use cream. The beans are creamy and rich you don't miss the dairy one bit. I'll stop by and check out your blog promotion!! Thanks for the invite

    Pam, thank you for stopping by and checking out my lima bean recipe. I can honestly say that my very picky son couldn't believe lima beans could taste so good. Let me know what your kids think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecka,

    You Lima Bean and Bacon Stew looks delicious.

    I also like your print a friendly copy button. I need to know how or where to get. I was using Google docs and posting link. But that is a lot work. I have to up load to Google docs first. I will catch up with you. Happy Holidays. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Rebecka. First of all, I am so impressed that you can sing opera! That's phenomenal! I love all kinds of beans and look forward to trying your lima bean and bacon stew. It will be a nice change of pace and perfect for this cold winter weather. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

♥I really appreciate your comments♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com