Fresh red tomatoes, summer squash and a soft poached egg bring me back to earth on those mornings nothing else will do. Add a cup of pipping hot coffee or espresso and I'm relaxed in no time, ready to take on the day.
1 medium red or green firm tomato
2-3 summer squash
2 tablespoons butter
flour for dusting tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
- Using a heavy bottom skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter on medium heat
- slice fresh red or green tomatoes cut about 1/4 thickness, dust with all purpose flour and sauteed in butter until browned
- Remove from pan to a paper towel to drain any excess butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Note: Red tomatoes can get really mushy when cooked this way so try to find some that are fresh picked, nice and firm. If I have the option, I use green tomatoes.
- slice squash and saute in remaining butter until brown, salt and pepper to taste
Serve with poached eggs, coffee or tea and enjoy the simple pleasure of this meal.