Sunday, October 17, 2010

Stuffed Waffles


I know we all begin to crave our favorite warm dishes this time of year and if your are like me, the struggle to keep from gaining "winter weight" is in full swing! 


My inner clock has decided it's time to fatten me up and my cravings for all my favorite, wonderful Fall comfort foods has hit an all time high!  This morning my cravings got the better of me and I was forced by my "inner voice" to make Stuffed Waffles for breakfast. 


Fluffy, tender waffles stuffed with bacon and eggs fried in bacon grease!  YUM!!  Some of you may need to turn your heads away as I indulge the rest of us with the details!!


Before I get to the recipe, I have to confess to you that it wasn't just the cravings that persuaded me to make the waffles. Yesterday, I had the good fortune of visiting one of my favorite stores, Bed Bath and Beyond, where I was lucky enough to find a KRUP'S waffle iron,....on SALE!!  The last of kind on the clearance rack, 50%!  Oh, how I love a great bargain not to mention, I was able to use my coveted 20% coupon to get even more of a discount.

 


Pristine and beautiful compared to my old and tattered Westinghouse Waffle Iron, Mr. Krups was just waiting to be filled with the tasty batter! My old dinosaur of a waffle iron is still working great and will be going to a good home.  My 20 year old daughter will be adopting her today!!


Waffle Batter:
This recipe is from the Krups booklet that came in the box.  I adjusted the recipe adding Buttermilk and an additional 1/2 cup 2% milk, to reach my preferred consistency and taste.


2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil




Method:


Beat egg yolks in a medium bowl on high speed until light yellow and fluffy, add the milk, butter milk and oil and blend for 1 minute on medium speed






Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and add to milk mixture

In a small mixing bowl whip egg whites until thick soft peaks form, then add them gently to the prepared batter.  






Batter is ready to cook in your waffle following the manufacturer instructions.

I used 1/2 cup batter for each of the waffle plates (4).  Makes 12-16 large waffles

While cooking the waffles prepare 1 pound bacon till crisp

Cook 4-6 eggs in bacon fat, I like my egg a little runny in the center. Drain eggs on paper towel.




Butter one waffle and place on a plate, add a layer of bacon 4-5 slices onto the waffle and then add a fried egg on top, cover egg layer with an additional buttered waffle and serve with hot maple syrup, dust with powdered sugar



Serve immediately
Variations on the theme...honey, walnuts, bananas and whip cream, jam or jelly fresh fruit compotes, chocolate chips and hot fudge sauce...remember to add the bacon to this one..it's divine!




What was left after my morning feast...my eyes are always bigger that my belly!

Remember to visit the link below to add your entry to the Culinary Smackdown Challenge "Battle Chile"  Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. I don't usually say it this way, but: Oh my God! My husband would LOVE this heartattacking goodness! He is after all a yorkshire lad, and grew up with the bacon-egg-grease-and-joy-breakfasts, like they do in England. For me, I think I would have loved those waffles, with sourcream or quark, and some jam on top! And a cup of tea. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your waffles look yummy. I guess beating the egg whites separately and folding it in makes a lighter and fluffier waffle. Will have to try that. I am also looking to get a new waffle iron :) BTW, I wanted to let you know that I have a link to you on my latest post. Do check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would eat this for breakfast and lunch too! Absolutely yummy! Will be submitting my entry for the smackdown soon. It would be great to include a link in this posts and all future until 31/10, link directly to your "Battlechile". It will be easier for everyone to submit and also a reminder to everyone who has not entered yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anette, Your husband sounds like mine...a Texan who loves "heartattacking goodness" lol! I like jam on my waffles too, with lot's of whipped cream! YUM

    Biren, I'm on my way to your site to check out the link...Thank you for linking up with me♥♥♥

    kitchen flavours, great idea bout linking the Battle Chile in all my new posts...duh! I can't wait to see your recipe for the challenge.

    btw...I'm changing my blog over to WoodPress...I think! Still designing and pondering how to make the change and keep my followers Any suggestions? athomewithrebecka@wordpress.com...TY

    ReplyDelete

♥I really appreciate your comments♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com