Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Nutella Hot Chocolate Espresso Hearts


I adore Nutella because it's one of the most delicious and versatile ingredients in my cupboard. Its rich chocolate flavor and creamy texture bring life to so many of my recipes.  My inspiration for this recipe came from my love of hot chocolate and espresso. 

As I was formulating my recipe for these tiny but powerful hot chocolate hearts, I thought to myself, "why not add a little hazelnut goodness to bring this romantic treat to newer heights?" I did just that with the addition of Nutella.  The outcome was a luscious sipping chocolate with an Italian flair.  The perfect sweet for your Valentine this year!
This recipe is has been entered into the Valentine's Day recipe contest at Cooking with NONA.     Click here to view the recipe gallery.          



Recipe
Makes 1 dozen
1 cup Nutella
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1.7 ounce instant espresso/coffee
1 cup powdered cocoa
2-4 cups steamed milk or pipping hot water for lower calorie version

Method
In a medium microwave safe bowl, melt Nutella and chocolate chips for 1 minute on high heat.  Stir until blended.  Cook for an additional 30 seconds if necessary to melt the chocolate chips.

Add instant espresso/coffee and blend until combined.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firmly set.

Spoon 2-3 tablespoons cold mixture onto a cool surface dusted with cocoa powder, roll into a ball, with fingers press ball into a 1/2 inch thickness, dust heart shaped cookie cutter with powdered cocoa and begin pressing out hearts.  Roll each shaped heart in cocoa powder and set on a cookie sheet.  Cover and refrigerate. 



To Serve
Steam milk until frothy or heat water to boiling, drop one Nutella Hot Chocolate Espresso Heart into a mug or espresso cup, pour hot liquid over heart, stir until melted.

Hearts can be refrigerated and kept for up to two weeks in an airtight container.  








Cooking with Nonna






Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. I love Nutella and this sounds so delicious. I'm bookmarking this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nutella is sooo delicious and your hearts look wonderful! yummm!! great idea for a special St. Valentine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to see what these Nutella Hot Chocolate Espresso hearts were all about. They look so good, and chocolaty with the Nutella, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ann, Hope you have the opportunity to try this recipe. It's a keep for those cold days.

    Francy, I hope you Valentine's Day is filled with sweets and a very special someone to share them with!!

    HI Becky, Thanks for stopping by to check out the recipe! I hope you have a lovely Valentine's Day. By the way...that dish your holding looks like it has a few chocolaty treats! I'll be stopping by your blog for a visit

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious treat, perfect for Valentine's Day! Would you believe I tried Nutella for the very first time last year. I do like it but I am the only one taking it. One jar last a long time. Will have to make this as my boys love hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete

♥I really appreciate your comments♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com