Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Fried Green Tomatoes




This is my favorite version of fried green tomatoes. There are other recipes that call for eggs and making more of a batter and deep frying just too heavy for me.
 
Fried Green Tomatoes
 
4-6 green tomatoes sliced thick
1 cup flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup butter or vegetable oil

Method
Slice tomatoes thickly, in a medium bowl mix dry ingredients, flour both sides of a tomato and place in a hot skillet, repeat until your skillet is full but the tomatoes aren't to crowded.






Cook on first side for 3-5 minutes without turning, flip over and cook the other side 3-5 minutes. The idea is to creat a very brown crisp crust without loosing any of the flour mix. Season with salt and pepper taste.


Serve alone or as a side dish, YUM!!
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! I've never seen tomatoes done this way. Great snacks!

    Hey, I noticed you've revamped too! Love the warm green :) Dropping by from Shirley's Luxury Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is how I like to fry my green tomatoes too - really don't like too heavy of a batter. Our tomato plants have been going crazy this year, so it's been ripe tomatoes pretty much none stop for us. But this fall I'm sure we'll have some green tomatoes that we need to gather before frost threatens, and this dish is one I'm waiting to make. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete

♥I really appreciate your comments♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com