Friday, December 17, 2010

Biscochitos-Mexican Sugar Cookies


Biscochitos  are a Holiday tradition in my family.  

The are  a crispy butter or lard based cookie flavored with anise and cinnamon. It was developed by residents of New Mexico over the centuries from the first Spanish colonists of New Mexico. The recipe for making the cookie has been greatly influenced not only by local and indigenous customs, but also by recipes brought to New Mexico by immigrants from other Hispanic countries. It is served during special celebrations, such as wedding receptions, baptisms, and religious holidays (especially during the Christmas season). It is usually eaten with morning coffee or milk, after lunch in the early afternoon, or dinner late at night. The cookie is seldom known outside its various territories.

[edit] State cookie

In 1989, the U.S. State of New Mexico adopted the bizcochito as its official state cookie. This act made New Mexico the first state to have an official cookie. It was chosen to help maintain traditional home-baked cookery. Source: Wikipedia

I serve my Biscochitos with Santa Hot Chocolate which is a recipe I've been making ever since my children were born.  Christmas Eve is the night we break out the special sipping cups and I make delicious hot chocolate from scratch and serve these delicate cookies.  The combination is delightful!


Rebecka's Biscochitos

1 cup Lard or butter (vegetable oil can also be used but the cookie won't be as crisp and flaky)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup Tequila or warm water
1 1/2 teaspoon anise seeds
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

Cinnamon Sugar
1/2 cup
2 tablespoons cinnamon

In a stand mixer cream together, sugar and lard, add eggs one at a time until mix is light and creamy.  Add tequila, vanilla and anise seeds, mix thoroughly, add flour and baking powder and mix on slow speed until dough comes away form the sides of the bowl. Add a little more tequila if dough is dry.  Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes. 

On a lightly floured surface roll dough to 1/2 think and cut out with shaped cookie cutters, bake in a 375 degree oven for 15-18 minutes until edges are slightly browned.  Remove from oven and quickly roll in cinnamon sugar while they are still hot from the over. 




Makes about 30 cookies

Before Santa and Mrs Clause......


After...


Don't forget the Santa Hot Chocolate...recipe will be posted next week!!

I'm linking this post to Foodie Fridays Print Friendly and PDF

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely holiday tradition that you have started for your family! It is always very interesting to know about other family's tradition. And I have never heard of an official cookie for any states. This is really very charming! This cookies looks and sounds very special. No wonder it is eaten practically at all meals each day during the festive season. Thanks for sharing this lovely cookie. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! How interesting with the cinnamon sugar, I just love cinnamon! I might have to try to bake these one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tradition and the cookies sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Martha! I'll be posting my recipe for Santa Hot Chocolate this week! Have a wonderful Holiday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecka, I love how you manage to get tequila into those cookies! hehe! Can you send me over a box?

    Happy Holidays, dear, and all the best to you for a peaceful and prosperous New Year! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. {LaDiva} he he! You've caught me!! This time of year I'm always angling to get a shot... or two of my favorite spirit into any one of my recipes! It just so happens that this one actually calls for tequila, so it's right up my alley!

    Wishing you a Happy Holiday and a very Blessed New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been looking for this recipe for weeks! I'm actually from deep in South Texas and my tia always makes these for us (but I'm afraid of asking her for the recipe, haha). Personally, we've never been to New Mexico but my grandma, apparently, has been making these since the 50s. It's pretty cool to know that these recipes can stand the test of time. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sovoyita, I know your Tia will be thrilled when you bring her a batch of biscochitos made by you! It can be difficult asking for recipes form family members but I bet your Tia would be willing to share hers over a cup of hot chocolate and a few cookies.

    Some of my best recipes are those that have stood the test of time. I cherish my families history through years of wonderful recipes!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I hope my recipe brings back good memories for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, amazing blog structure! How long have you been running a blog for?
    you made blogging look easy. The whole glance of your site is excellent, let alone the content!



    Here is my web-site :: win roulette

    ReplyDelete

♥I really appreciate your comments♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com