Friday, January 27, 2012

Stuffed Pepper Stew



Joe is the executive Chef at Brooks Place Tavern, the restaurant where I'm currently employed. I call Chef Joe the "Soup Dude", because he is a stellar soup creator. His other foods are extremely good but the gift for soup making runs deep in his soul. I've been forced to recreate several of his recipes based on the fact that he keeps his recipes tucked safely away in his mind. I've mentioned his brilliance in the kitchen when it comes to the art of preparing perfectly balanced soup recipes, when I recreated his highly coveted Pumpkin Pie Soup. I'll have to pat my self on the back for that one as my recreated recipe was spot on!!  Chef Joe's recipe for Stuffed Pepper Stew is no exception to the rule.  Reminiscent of my childhood and the flavors of my moms stuffed peppers, this soup is hearty and filled with flavor.

Recipe
Serves 6
2 pounds ground chuck
3 large green bell peppers, chopped
1 large white onion, chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
8 fresh plum tomatoes, chopped
1 14 ounce can tomato sauce
1 14 ounce can water (use tomato sauce can)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons canola oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups cooked white rice

Method
  • Brown ground beef in heavy bottom sauce pan on medium high heat, drain liquid
  • Remove beef from pan and set aside
  • heat canola oil in same sauce pan chop peppers, and onions medium dice and saute until onions are translucent
  • season with a pinch of salt and pepper. 
  • Add minced garlic and saute for 1 minute
  • add chopped plum tomatoes and cook until soft 
  • stir in tomato sauce brown sugar, bay leaf, garlic powder and return browned beef to sauce pan
  • cover and simmer on medium low heat for 1-2 hours 
To Serve
Ladle hot soup into bowls, add 2-3 teaspoons cooked white rice to each bowl, stir.  Serve with crusty bread




Print Friendly and PDF

12 comments:

  1. This soup sounds so hearty and delicious! This would make a very tasty lunch with some of that crusty bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!! This looks like my kind of soup. And a loaf of crusty bread will make it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biren and Moogie, I think this is my new favorite comfort food!! So delicious. Thanks for you sweet comments♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG- I could almost smell that through the computer screen! Good grief, what are you trying to do me? I'm never going to make it to lunch! Haaaa. Just came over from Katherin's Corner and so glad I did. Just followed you! Would you be willing to do the same?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Top Mommy, I most certainly will follow you back. One good deed deserves another!! I'm looking forward to checking out your site. Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one delicious looking stew, Rebecka! I love peppers and looks so good stuffed with the delicious stew! Yum! With some crusty bread, this is one satisfying and comforting meal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rebecka, thanks for sharing this fabulous soup recipe. I seem to be living off soup lately, seeing as it is so cold outside and a new one is always welcome. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings, Rebecka. Glad I found you as you have many delicious and wonderful recipes. Shall be dropping in now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your soup looks fantastic! exactely what I need in such cold days like these!! Bologna is under 50 cm of snow... kisses Francy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rebecka, I'm unable to read your post "At Nanns Table", it shows page does not exist?? Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rebecka....Thanks for your blog info. This wasn't what I found before so I'm so very glad I now have your address.

    This recipe looks so good and I have everything on hand so hopefully I can make it today after church. I love stuff peppers and this looks so comforting.

    Also as I have purused down the page, every single recipe that I see looks amazingly delish! You really do some beautiful things. And your photography makes me want to eat it right off the page.

    Wish we lived closer too. We'd have a ball!

    Hugs my friend,

    Nancy (Nann)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Chris and What's Baking...I've stopped by your blogs and now following! You both have so much to offer and I look forward to reading your blogs and becoming better acquainted.

    Joy, I don't know what I did to the post but it's missing! Probably operator error or another dumb blond moment!!

    Nann, you're a peach! Thanks so much for your kind comments. We will most definitely stay in touch! Utah should be closer!

    ReplyDelete

♥I really appreciate your comments♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com