Thursday, October 20, 2011

Idaho Potato Bacon and Cheddar Soup & Rutabaga Votives


Now that the weather has turned I'm pulling out all my Fall favorite recipes.  Soup has top billing at my house this time of year! My family is always eager to gobble up a warm bread bowl filled with Idaho Potato Bacon and Cheddar Soup.

Recipe

6 cups Idaho potatoes
6 cups cold water
3 tablespoons chicken base
1/2 pound bacon
2 tablespoon bacon fat
1 large white onion
2 bay leaf
5 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup table cream
salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste

4-6 small round bread

Method

Brown rough chopped bacon in a heavy bottom stock pot on medium high heat until crisp, remove cooked bacon and set aside, drain excess fat from pan leaving about 2 tablespoons to saute onions.  Cook chopped onion until translucent, add cold water, chicken base, bay leaf and chopped potatoes, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and add salt and pepper to taste. 

Cook for 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender, gently mash potatoes with a potato masher to thicken soup making sure to leave about half of the potatoes chunky. 

Reduce heat to low, add table cream and 5 cups cheese, reserve 1/2 cup for garnish and stir until cheese has melted, do not boil.  Add additional salt and pepper to taste.

Cut a hole in the top of the bread rounds, set topper aside, create a reservoir in the bread round by pinching out the soft center, leaving a 1/12 inch thickness. 



Ladle hot soup into bread bowls and garnish with remaining cheese and crumbled bacon.  Serves 6







I've also added a little crafting project to this post inspired by Martha Stewart's Pumpkin Votive Holders and  Apple Votive Holders.   Simple to make and elegant to behold Rutabaga Votive have a natural beauty that will add a new twist to your Holiday table. 

To make

Using a melon ball-er, carve out a well in the center of the root end of the rutabaga, if the bottom of the vegetable is uneven use a sharp knife to create a flat bottom.  Fill with votive candles. Optional, carve a deeper well leaving a very thin layer of rutabaga.  This will create a glowing candle. 


Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. Oh Rebecka! You've done it this time! Oh my goodness that looks AMAZING! And seeing as we're in Idaho..I definitely can't pass this recipe up!
    And it is easy enough that I'd actually give it a try!

    And the votives...completely GENIUS!
    JadeLouise Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried to make this at home. Looks so comforting with cheddar cheese on top. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is exactly the kind of food that I like! Yum!

    Rebecka, I'd submitted my Creepy Halloween Pumpkin Treats for a Recipe Challenge. I'd appreciate a minute of your time to hop over to VOTE for my entry. Voting closes 24 Oct 2011. I thank you for your votes & appreciate your kind gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious, Rebecka! I love Idaho potatoes! And serving the soup in bread bowl sounds fantastic, something that I will have to try! Thanks for sharing, wishing you a lovely Fall season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amber, You're such a sweetie! I hope you have the opportunity to make the soup for your family!

    Thanks Ann, You're right, this soup is so satisfying and comforting!

    Shirley, I've been voting for your Creepy Pumpkin Treats! Hope you win!

    kf, My best to you during the Holidays as well! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thks for voting, Rebecka! Have a wonderful week, my dear :) Oh, make sure you take a look at my latest post, guarantee to drive u wild. Hahaha! Check Out Angry Birds @ Finnair’s Airport Lounge!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing. One question--what is table cream? Is it more like heavy cream, or clotted cream, or creme fraiche? Just wondering so I can try my hand at this gorgeous soup!

    ReplyDelete

♥I really appreciate your comments♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com