Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Soup and Awards





This is a highly classified recipe, so much so, that the only recipe known to man is locked away in the mind of my friend, Chef Joe.

Joe is the executive Chef at Brooks Place Tavern, the restaurant where I'm currently employed. I call Chef Joe the "Soup Dude", because he is a stellar soup creator.  His other foods are extremely good but the gift for soup making runs deep in his soul. 


I've asked Joe for several of his famous soup recipes only to be denied! Pfft!  Really, the nerve of the guy! As a home cook and food blogger I can't help but share my recipes with the world.  On the other hand, I can understand Joe's unwillingness to divulge his secret recipes for fear of being copied and used by a competitor! I guess I'll have to cut him a little slack...this time!

Joe's Pumpkin Pie Soup is the bomb!  The very first time I tried a taste, the flavors literally moved me to tears.  Leave it to me to get all verklempt over a bowl of soup. The rich pumpkin flavor balanced by the pumpkin pie seasoning and savory base is pure nirvana!  What I wouldn't give for a bowl of that hot, creamy heaven! So, what am I to do without the recipe? 

There's a simple answer to that question.  My passion for recreating dishes that evoke sweet memories is what this blog is all about. 

Here's my version of Chef Joe's Pumpkin Pie Soup, I hope it brings as much joy to you as it has to me!




Pumpkin Pie Soup

serves 6

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
45 ounces canned pumpkin
1/2 cup white onion
1/2 cup carrot
1/4 cup celery
2 teaspoons chicken base (substitute vegetable stock for vegetarian version)
4 cups water
1 cup apple cider
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground clove
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cups granulated sugar

Roughly chop onion, carrot, and celery, add vegetable oil to a heavy bottom 5 quart stock pot, cook vegetables on medium high heat, until onions are translucent, do not brown. Season with salt and pepper

Add water, apple cider and chicken base to vegetables, stir and cook for 5 minutes.  Lower heat to medium and add canned pumpkin and spices, stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes more. 

Remove from heat and blend ingredients with a immersion hand held blender until mixture is smooth, return to heat

Reduce heat to low and return stock pot to stove top, add heavy cream and simmer for 30 minutes.

Serve with ginger snaps or graham crackers and a dollop of whipped cream.

Enjoy your bowl of this hot liquid heaven!

AWARDS:




These beautiful Awards were past on to me by Biren at Roti and Rice.  I've learned so much about food blogging and all that goes with it from Biren.  She is a master food blogger, stylist and food photographer.  Thank you Biren for bestowing me with the honor! 

As part of the awards presentation I'm to share 7  things about myself and then pass the awards onto 15 of my favorite blogger friends...so here it goes!

1. I will eat just about anything you set in front of me.
2. I won't eat cooked raisins, goat cheese or lamb.
3. I want to be a snowbird; living on the Florida Gulf Coast in the Winter months and in the Colorado Rocky Mountains in the Summer months.  Guess I need a better job!
4. I'm a food competitor junkie!
5. I adore my French Press coffee maker!
6. I also adore my newest kitchen gadget; Cuisinart coffee grinder. I purchased it for $1.75 using my Kohls' coupons.
7. I have a small addiction to makeup and hair products.


My Top 15

1. Gloria's Blog Viva La Vida
2. Shirely's Luxury Haven
3. Crafty and Cooking Momma
4. CW's Cafe Today
5. kitchen flavors
6. Krakilette
7. Mommy Blog Designs
8. Jade Louise Designs
9. My Dish Washer's Possessed
10. Rate the Plate Utah
11. Not Your Ordinary Recipes
12. Icing and Crumbs
13.Cravings of a Lunatic
14. My Nuggets of Truth
15.Hoopfinity's Happenings

This recipe is being linked to
Friday Shout Out Pumpkin Blog Hop
Tablescapes Seasonal Sundays

My Meatless Mondays

Print Friendly and PDF

23 comments:

  1. What a fabulous recipe!! I'm so glad you recreated it for us. I can't wait to try. I also loved reading the facts about you! I only recently learned to love goat cheese, still only like lamb sometimes (rarely), and am obsessed with my French press. Thanks so much for linking your pumpkin recipe up over at my linky party!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that soup looks delish. I have some butternut squash and it's getting that time of year for soups. Thank you Rebecka for the awards I truly appreciate it but I have to tell you that I don't do awards any longer. I accept them as I am doing now but I don't post them any longer because...wanna know why??..:) They slow the computer down. Honestly thank you very much for the beautiful awards and I do accept them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine, I'm happy to know I'm not alone in my obsession with the French press! I'm very happy to meet you and look forward to reading your blog! Biren highly recommends you!

    Gloria, I totally understand not posting the awards. You know I love your art so just wanted to acknowledge my appreciation! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rebecka, A bowl of delicious looking pumpkin soup! I bet Chef Joe's eyes would do a double blink if he sees this! Hahaha! It looks delicious, I would finish it all off, without a drop of leftovers! And I have always wanted to try at making some myself! Thanks for sharing!
    Congratulations on your award.. thank you for thinking of me!
    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post & recipe! Thks for having me in mind, dear! I'm flattered with the award.

    Well, I share the same page with u on No.2, especially lamb is a no-no for me. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delish! It would be wonderful to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecka,
    Thank you so much for giving me these awards. I'm honored. Your site is so beautiful and you create such masterpieces. I am totally going to make that pumpkin soup!
    Blessings and hugs!
    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joy, you're very welcome! Yes, Chef Joe might just have a conniption if he knew I made his secret soup recipe!

    Shirley, silly that we don't like lamb. I think I've only had it twice in my life where I could actually eat what was put in front of me!

    Miriam, Happy to share! Thanks for hosting the link up!

    Erin, Thank you for your sweet comments! The feelings mutual!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Thaks for your award! I've never tasted pumpkin soup, when I think about it, I don't think I've ever tasted pumpkin at all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome site. I can't wait to look through everything. Now you will be on my pinterest page so I will have a direct link. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to try this. We love soup. Any recommendations for a crock pot version???

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard of pumpkin soup before but NEVER pumpkin pie soup....yum. Gotta try this.

    Thank you for joining our Alexa Hop, hope you have a fab week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful and delicious bowl of soup! I am sure Chef Joe would approve :)

    Thanks for sharing a little more about yourself. You very creative and you do a superb job at food competitions. BTW, I am also not a fan of goat's cheese. Thank you so much for all the kind words, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you! I love to be mentioned in the same post as Pumpkin Pie Soup!!! This stuff looks incredible!! Not Your Ordinary Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  15. visiting your delicious blog from the alexa hop.. hope you can stop by www.sometimesuwin.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great recipe. I love pumpkin soup. I can't wait to make this. :) Perfect weather for it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anette, You'll have to try some pumpkin! It's delicious in so many dishes!!How are things in Norway?

    Romez, Thank you so much! It's so nice to meet you! I appreciate the follow on Pinterest! I'll be by to follow both your blog and Pinterest sites!

    Hi Karen, I think this soup would translate very well into a crock pot dish. Prep all the ingredients the night before and then leave them in the crock pot on low for 4-6 hours, add the cream about 30 minutes before you serve the dish! Let me know how it turns out!

    Jen, I'm happy to join in the Alexa Hop. I plan to stop by and catch up on some of the blogs I missed.

    Biren, I meant every word♥

    Not Your Ordinary, Happy to share the blog love!!

    heinzemom, so nice to meet you! Have followed you and will do an Alexa review of your site asap!

    Rochelle, thank you for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! I hope you enjoy a big bowl of this yummy soup!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in to soups, this is the perfect time of the year to make them. I will add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you chose to be a part of Seasonal Sundays this past week and hope you'll join me again this week.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad you shared this with us at My Meatless Mondays. I am featuring it, tomorrow.
    I am a soup lover and pumpkin has the most delightful flavor. I am sure this is delicious. I hope to find out, for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVED the soup! It was our first course for Thanksgiving dinner this year and everyone raved! I think it is good served hot or cold! I also found you can't add too much cinnamon. Just sprikle some more on top of each individual serving. Also, my immersion blender wasn't doing such a great job, so I used my Vitamix blender. Ooh it turned out sooo smooooth! This recipe is a keeper!! I am ready to make it again already;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and
    wanted to mention that I have really loved browsing your weblog
    posts. In any case I will be subscribing on your feed and I hope you
    write again soon!

    My website: http://elgg.summervillecountryclub.com/pg/profile/VenettaSh

    ReplyDelete

♥I really appreciate your comments♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com