Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Chocolate Tamales with Ancho Chile Fudge Sauce




Decedent, rich and filled with spicy flavor, these Chocolate Tamales are to die for!


This delicious dessert has a Mexican flair, filled with almonds, ancho chile powder and cocoa then drizzled with Ancho Fudge Sauce…so rich and dreamy!


This is also my entry for the Culinary Chocolate Smackdown.  For more information about this months contest check out the link below! 
http://krakilette.blogspot.com/search/label/culinary%20smackdown

Recipe is also being entered into the Cooking with Nona Valentine Chocolate Dessert Recipe Contest



Tamale Dough


2 cups Maseca corn flour


2 cups warm water


1/4 teaspoon sea salt


3 tablespoons cocoa powder


1 package corn husks











Method:


Mix corn flour, cocoa powder and salt to combine, add water and stir to form soft dough, add more water if dough seems to dry, cover with plastic wrap until ready to use




Remove corn husks from package and soak for 20-30 minutes in very warm water, making sure to drench the husks, separating them and swishing them in the water several times. Set aside












Filling:


1 cup fine chopped almonds


3 tablespoon Ancho chile powder


1 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder


1/4 cup brown sugar


1 tablespoon honey


1/2 stick butter, melted


1 teaspoon cinnamon


1/4 teaspoon sea salt













Method:


Mix dry ingredients until combined, add melted sugar, honey and stir until mixture is well incorporated


Ancho Chile Fudge Sauce


1/2 stick butter, melted


2 tablespoons cocoa powder


2 tablespoons Ancho chile powder


1/8 teaspoon cinnamon


1/8 teaspoon sea salt


1/8 teaspoon almond extract


1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract


2 tablespoon honey













Method:


Melt butter in a small sauce pan over low heat, add dry ingredients and mix till smooth, using a candy thermometer make sure to keep the sauce from heating past 150 degrees, remove from heat and add extracts and honey, whip with a whisk for 1 minute. Let fudge sauce rest, reheat on low right before service








Forming Tamales


Remove husks from water and drain on paper towels, tear 2 large husks into strips and set aside, place 1 large husk or two small husks on a clean surface and add 2 tablespoons tamale dough, press down until about 1/4 inch thick, add 1 tablespoon filling mixture,








fold husk in half once, fold left side into the middle and then repeat on left side folding into the middle, use 2 or 3 strips of husk to tie bundle together,




















steam tamales for 15-20 minutes, remove from steamer, open tamales and serve with fudge sauce, cinnamon whipped cream and slivered almonds.  I recommend serving a pipping hot, cup of black coffee with these gems♥






Print Friendly and PDF

13 comments:

  1. Wow, this is wonderful! I did not know that corn husks can be used this way! Well, I really learned something new today. I don't think that we can get dried corn husks over here, now I have to keep a lookout for this when I'm at the specialty store next time! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thier very cheap and I can send you some if you like? If you feel comfortable about sending me a private message with your address, I'll send them off to you right away! Just let me know if I can get them for you! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness...these are delightful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magic of Spice...thank you! If you decide to make these be sure to put on a pot of strong coffee to go with these very rich tamales.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow, Rebecka...I am SOOOOO making these! They sound awesome =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate and tamales together??? What a dream! This is such a fun take on tamales...I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much for your really nice gesture! I really appreciate it beyond words! Will try to look for it at the specialty store first, and if I need it at a later date, will let you know again! Thanks again! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are simply amazing. You totally deserve to win the smackdown and congratulations. I'll be looking forward to the category you choose for the next contest!!

    Cheers,
    GG

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome entry for the Smackdown, and a well-deserved win! Can't wait to see what you come up with for next month's theme.

    eggy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yippee!!!! I can't believe I won!!
    Thank you, thank you, Krakilette♥♥

    I'm truly honored to have won this months Culinary Smackdown, Battle Chocolate and I can't wait to host the October challenge!

    Thank you all so very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an inventive way to use chocolate and chilies together. The tamales look amazing. Congrats on your win.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dang, girl, did you come up with this idea yourself? I love tamales and chile and chocolate, never had 'em all together though. I can't wait to try these! Congrats on the win, you deserved it! Don't forget to let me know what/when the smackdown is, I usually participate but this last one snuck up on me! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ LaDive, Yes, this is an original recipe. I was born in Albuq. New Mexico, where my taste buds learned to love all things having to do with New Mexican cuisine.

    I love making tamales because they are so versatile and I have invented several dessert tamale recipes. One of my other favorite recipes incorporates pinion nuts and dates as filling and Cajeta, (caramel sauce) and cinnamon whipped cream!! YUM!


    I hope you enter the Oct. Culinary Smackdown "Battle Chile" You can add your entry anytime starting today through Oct. 29. I'm having trouble with my linky tools so just add a link to your recipe in the contest blog post. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

♥I really appreciate your comments♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com