Tuesday, April 19, 2011

YUZU Frog Eye Pudding with Nilla Bean Whip - Marxfoods Recipe and Review

 
YUZU Frog Eye Pudding with Nilla Bean Whip
I'm already addicted to the Marxfoods gourmet citrus juices!  Yuzu, Sudachi and Kabosu are citrus juices imported from Japan. All three juices are far more complex than your run of the mill lemon or lime juices;  filled with undertones of herbs and delivering a smooth texture with less bite than their American cousins, these juices are packed with intense delicious flavor.  

  




For the second recipe in my quest to define how Yuzu juice will take it's place in my kitchen, I've created a playful dessert....YUZU Frog Eye Pudding with Nilla Bean Whip!  Creamy and tart, this rich pudding satisfies with the perfect balance of flavors.  Yuzu juice is decadent and harmonious mixed with the creamy texture of the pearl tapioca and Madagascar vanilla beans.  It's crisp lemony taste, balance the lush  and slightly lumpy pudding.




Recipe

1/4 cup Yuzu juice
1- 8 ounce bag small pearl tapioca
2 1/2 cups whole or 2% milk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs

Nilla Bean Whip
2 cups heavey whipping cream
1/2 Madagascar vanilla bean
1/4 cup powdered sugar


Method
Pour tapioca pearls into a medium mixing bowl, cover with cold water and let rest at room temperature for 2-3 hours. Drain tapioca, in a medium saucepan heat 2 1/2 cups milk on medium heat until small bubbles form around the edge of pan, lower heat, add tapioca and salt, cover and cook on low for 1 hour.  Do not allow milk to boil.  Remove lid and stir tapioca gently.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar together, add vanilla, YUZU juice and blend, add a small amount of the hot tapioca to the egg mixture to temper, mix the tempered egg mixture back into the hot tapioca and blend well, eggs will cook in the hot mixture and make a delicious pudding.  Transfer tapioca to glass bowl and refrigerate.

Whip cream with electric hand mixer until stiff peaks form.  Split the vanilla bean open with a sharp knife, scrape out all the seeds and add to whipped cream, add powdered sugar and mix with a spoon to combine. refrigerate whip until ready to use.

Garnish with thin slice lemons, freshly grated nutmeg. 



“Niban shibori” juices are from the second pressing of the fruit.  This makes them less intense, more affordable, and more approachable than the first pressing.  They’re an excellent choice for home chefs and have been pasteurized to make them shelf stable before opening.

Yuzu juice is the most well known of the three varieties.  It has an extremely complex, slightly flowery flavor that is difficult to describe but is something like a blend of orange/tangerine, lemon and grapefruit. It is slightly less acidic than lemon juice.

Sudachi juice’s flavor is creamy, lemony, and quite tart.  It has a similar acid content to conventional lemons.


Kabosu juice’s flavor can be described as complex and lime-esque with layered tangy & savory notes.  It is considerably less acidic than lemon juice, yuzu juice and sudachi juice. Source: Marxfoods

This post is linked to

Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. Much as I love tapioca, I think I will make a batch of the Nilla Bean Whip and have it on hand for each meal!!
    Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a rich and glorious delicious pudding! Your Nilla Bean whip sounds delightful, Madagascar Vanilla Bean, must be really heavenly fragrant! You did it again, creating a beautiful dessert!
    I have some awards for you over at my site. Please do drop by to pick them up anytime when you can. How's little Amber? You must be pretty busy spoiling her! I would too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit the title almost put me off (frog eye), but that looks great. I love the texture of tapioca and any citrus flavor. What a treat to have the two combined!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DIS, I agree that Nilla Bean Whip should on hand for every meal! It's decadent and really makes this dessert shine! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

    Joy, I was a bit worried about the vanilla beans I had in my spice cabinet, they were pretty dry so I soaked them before splitting them open to get out all the yummy beans. They were perfect! Yes, I'm spoiling my little grand daughter, I just wish we could see her more often. I'll stop by to see what lovelies you have for me....you know I love blog bling!! xoxo

    Cityshare, frog eye salad is an old family recipe; pearl tapioca mixed with green jello and whipped cream. The little pearls looks like frogs eyes..lol! They taste a whole lot better though!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exquisito puding,se ve delicioso y muy hermoso,cariƱos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! You've made it to the voting round of the Concours d'Cusine!

    http://www.bigklittlea.com/2011/05/may-concours-dcusine-voting-selections.html

    Good luck!
    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my.... what a wonderful dessert. I love tapioca!! And your presentation if lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is sooo beautiful and refreshing! I can only get yuzu jam or paste here. Must check out at Marxfoods :)

    ReplyDelete

♥I really appreciate your comments♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com