Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce




This recipe is so simple and one of my favorite go-to meals when I'm in a time crunch.  It's also a staple when I'm craving a big bowl of pasta .

For the past two years I've lived at 8500 feet in the Rocky Mountains. It's a beautiful place to live but a horrible altitude to grow fresh, anything!  I've recently moved to a lower elevation in Colorado allowing me to grow herbs and fresh veggies.  My basil is super happy on my back porch and a delicious addition to this fresh pasta sauce. 


Making a Chiffonade is the easiest way to cut basil for your recipes.  "Chiffon" is French for "rag" referring to the fabric-like strips that result from this technique. To chiffonade simply means to turn into rag-like strips".  Source wikipedia

Simply, lay several basil leaves together and roll into a tight cigar shape.  Using a sharp paring knife, cut slices of basil to resemble strips.  You can chop the strips further if you prefer a smaller bite.

 




Recipe Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce
serves 4

2 large beef steak tomatoes
3 gloves garlic minced
5 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup olive oil plus 1 tablespoon
3-4 leaves fresh basil

Method
  • In a large stock pot prepare pasta, while pasta is cooking
  • Coarsely chop tomatoes
  • using a large heavy bottom skillet saute tomatoes in 1 tablespoon olive oil for 5 minutes on medium high heat
  • add garlic
  • saute additional 4 minutes
  • add 1/4 cup olive oil and butter, cook until butter is melted stirring occasionally
  • remove from heat, add fresh basil salt and pepper to taste
  • drain pasta
  • return pasta to skillet and cook additional 2-3 minutes, serve
Optional: add pine nuts, artichoke hearts and sundried tomatoes







Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful Rebecka.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so delicious! Fresh tomatoes with basil and capers is my kids' favourite pasta meal! I know that they will really love your version as well!
    Wish you a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ladies! Thanks for visiting my latest blog post. I'm finally getting settled into my new home and looking forward to creating new recipes and blog posts. Kimmie, this is a lick ya lips delicious and easy recipe! Thank you! Carol Ann, SMOOCHES! Joy, You know your continued support of my blog is very much appreciated!! Bless you♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Melynda, Yes indeed, this is a fresh summer meal. I just wish I was sitting in Italy instead of my backyard!! Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete

♥I really appreciate your comments♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com